Saturday, February 15, 2003

So tired, like that Beatles Song

I'm all anti-valentines. Not because i'm bitter, which I'm most definitely not, but for a few other good reasons. Number one, it let's almost every scumbag guy get off for treating his girlfriend like crap because he sprinkles a few rose petals somewhere. Number two, it lets every forgetful guy off for never buying a present any other day of the year. IE: girl: It's my birthday, did I get anything special. guy: I guess but not from me, I bought you those cheesy bears on Valentine's day. Number three, those cheesy-ass bears and other merchandise. It's almost as bad as decorating for Christmas right after Thanksgiving. I mean, in the scheme of things those stupid "I love you" bears aren't here for THAT long. But because It's just ONE day it's definitely compounded. Number four, two words: Marketing Ploy. First off, if it wasn't distasteful enough, the University of Florida offered a free mock wedding service to gushing couples. like, here's an idea: "hey why don't we pretend to get married when we're still undergrads?!?" "that's a SUPER idea!!!!" "I LOoooooooove you!" "Yeah! Who needs school? Oh and then, I can get pregnant, and we can raise our first child in Low-rent housing!!" "wow! You are so clever!" But then, I came home from class and unwinded for a bit by watching TV. Every single channel had devoted itself to the day of love. So I settled on MTv, which at the time was focusing on kisses in music videos. Then TRL came on (carson daly is a massive tool). Um. I'm sorry. If I were to plan myself a wedding, the LAST place I would want to hold it would be in MTv's studio, druing TRL, while hundreds of teeny-boppers "woo-hooed." Who gets married on Cable Television?!?!? WHO!?!?! Like, they had strangers vote on the dress, the honeymoon, the ring. Talk about indecisiveness. If two people who supposedly love each other can't pick out a dress, a honeymoon spot or a ring for themselves, how long will it last? Or was it the fact that you couldn't afford your dream wedding? Hey sport, here's a hint, why dontcha learn that sacrifices are part of life? Ritz too expensive? Find a cheaper location. Catering bill too much? Limit the guestlist to family and close friends. Can't afford that Vera Wang? Either learn to sew or get REALLY good at searching through Bins. But if you're dream wedding bill is too high, do NOT turn to MTv. That's just cheap and white trashish, except that MTv is too evil to deal with the white trash.

I cooed when my roomate's boyfriend tastefully sprinkled rose petals in her room (she has her own), and on her bed. The dude is a really great guy who treats my roomie like the world and is a true gentleman. When I came home from work at 5:00 am, sick of drunk people and horny guys, I had to find my footing around a million rose petals leading up the stairs to some chick's room. Great. The cleaning service doesn't come on the weekends. Thanks to this considerate asshole boyfriend, I get the chance to slip on rose petals. Way to go buddy.

I like chocolate too. But because I refuse to have a valentine, I'm labeled as a bitter bitch who just wants to get fat on Russel Stouffer (gag me, Hershey's all the way Baby) because she didn't get a Valentine.
I mean, if you want to be romantic, more power to ya. I think romance is incredible when it exists between two people who really like or love each
other. If you can find a way to do somethign tasteful and not trite on Valentine's, go for it. I once suggested to my friend who was in agaony over what she should do for her boyfriend, that she first choose a poem by Pablo Neruda, then develop a roll of a self portrait of herself, or maybe the two of them together, then write the poem on a transparancy and develop a picture, with the poem burned onto the page. If it had been done before, it was not to the extent that a box of chocolates had. It is sweet to see what some guys will do for their gal.
But, hey, why not mix a little creativity with that romance? Why not pick another day of the year to be romantic? Like I always say, Belated Presents are the best. Here's why, the festivites have passed, the commotion has died and so, it's a random present. Like, a present just for being you. Sure, it was for your birthday, but hey, it's not your birthday now! So when V-Day has passed, why not then celebrate romance? On a random night? Just because you love someone. That is more romantic than any bears with magnetic lips that I've ever seen.

Also, I'm pissed at GW...but this is not the forum for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home