Thursday, July 03, 2003

Nevermind the candybars...

Because that was going to be my new subject. My tastes developing through my life from Peanut M&Ms to Milky Ways to Snickers to Peanut M&Ms to Milky Ways to Snickers to Milky Ways to Three Musketeers to Twix, Twix, Twix to Three Musketeers (I more than passed the highly controversial FCAT sustained for three days on a wonderful breakfast of Three Musketeers and Dr. Pepper for Breakfast--sorry Mom) to Twix to Milky Ways. First year of college featured a lot of Twix, I have to say, but a few days ago, I rekindled my affection for the Snickers bar. That got me on a whole kick about Halloween and trick or treating and movie theatres and all that.

But that was before my pain killing prescription ran out. Truth be told, 325 mg of Oxycodone didn't seem too strong, I think it was more of a placebo. In any case, I stopped wanting to write about candy and my whole love affair with the Mars candy industry.

Now, I'm listening to Girly Rock (Heart--Magic Man) and focusing instead on under rated films. Like, how there are WAY too many films that we, as a public, just take for granted. Example. By now, I'm sure everyone who's cool has heard of Spirited Away, the visually stunning animated film by Miyazaki. RENT IT. WATCH IT. (If you for some reason haven't). But I would also suggest the highly underrated Kiki's Delivery Service. It's just as beautiful and the story holds a candle to the former.

And, I guess on this animated kick, I would reccommend Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys. I vaguely remember reviews being rather unfavorable towards it. I'll admit, it's not necessarily Oscar worthy. But definitely a Golden Globe or two. Kieran Culkin is leagues, leagues ahead of Macauly as far as acting is concerned. (granted, we never really saw mac amount to much more than the half naked neglected little boy who liked "Aughhh!"ing.) Anyways.
Alter Boys is of course, a coming of age tale, set, of course, in the late 60s early 70s. Boys attend Catholic School with evil Nun as teacher and chain-smoking Vincent D'Onofrio as Priest and escape boredom by creating a nuisance and starting a comic entitled The Atomic Trinity. Kinda like Ghost World only with boys. Which reminds me that Ghost World is another highly underrated film.

Anyways, I have to exercise my knee and all that stuff so rent these movies today.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home