Monday, March 31, 2003

An Ani DiFranco concert followed by a Madonna reference.

So.
Friday, Claire and I hitched a ride with her papa and found our way to the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville. Ah-nee Dee-Frank-oH. $40. One of the wisest ways I've blown my cash in the last few months. 60 if you count the $20 Righteous Babe shirt I purchased. The front boldly states that "The Media isn't fooling me." Score. The audience was of course comprised fans of ani D Noted the difference between the crowds at Ani show and Indigo Girls concert... I never saw Lillith Fair.
Ms. DiFranco played an absolutely fabulous show. Solo. Read some political poetry capturing the torn sentiments of those who feel proud of the beautiful country in the boundaries of the yoo ess of A but are ashamed and incensed at the very notion of war with a country whose oil we want so desparately.
For a couple sets, I called Steph in Boston, and thanks to the good people at Cingular wireless, Steph got to hear Ani while I screamed not more than 10 feet away from the dread-headed righteous bitch.
On the way home, Claire's younger sis, Scottie sat shot-gun, Claire and I talked stupid while her papa drove. There aren't really any good radio stations in Gainesville area, but we had some luck with some shag carpet voiced radio personality who called herself Delilah and ran requests and dedications. You may know of her. The first call was from a 9th grader who was still having thoughts about being a bus monitor and wanted to a give a special shout out to the man who drove her (and 20 other youngsters) to and from school. The next dedication came from a man who wanted to thank his wife for not screwing around on him and sticking through his 16 or so back surgeries.
The point is that I realized I really like music. It's too bad I didn't bother to really do my piano exercises so long ago. Music is so so so so so so so cool. It brings the whole world together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home