Friday, February 28, 2003

Since when does the sky affect how I feel?

Generally, gray days make me feel all bohemian. I feel the need to smoke cigarettes and read Camus in a decent coffay shop. I want to walk all over the god-damn place. Today is looking like 24 hours of the exact opposite. It began at work: got off late (as usual) but because of someone else's carelessness, I lost my tips for the evening. I mean, I needed that change. For laundry, for meals. Like, even the bums in Gainesville have more change than me.
Then, home I got. A'Lesha asked me to stay up to wake her up. Um. How about fixing your alarm clock? Or, no, don't, it's ok, I don't mind sacrificing sleep to wake you up at 6:30.
A shower helped. But not much.
Classes went fine, but drained me of any content feeling I might have had.

{{Speaking of bums, yesterday I spent a few hours chatting with some kids who were around for the Rainbow Gathering (which, wasn't really the Rainbow Gathering. It's a bunch of hobos in tents in the woods of G'ville...sad.) Sad were these kids stories. I won't go into massive details, but be very, very appreciative that you know your father or at least that he wasn't one of six men who gang-banged your drug addicted mother who latr tripped on mescaline and then shot herself in the head. These three, whose names I'll withhold, even if they aren't real, were on their way to Mardi Gras. Planning to hop a freight. There's more involved than just hopping on a train.
1- You have to run on to the train to by-pass the inspections.
2- You have to jam something in between the heavy door and door jamb, otherwise, you will not get out of the car until it is opened.
3- Those cars are made of steel and are void of any form of insulation, you'll basically be riding in a refrigerator.
I gave them some socks (they had been wearing the same pair for a month), I gave the girl some underwear and tampons, I gave them some jeans (like new, but rarely worn), a sweatshirt I never wear, shampoo and some other random things.
I hope they make it past New Orleans, because their voyage is a far cry from anything Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda came close to experiencing.}}


Silver lining to these clouds of my day:
A graduation check from Aunt Kristen which will go far in my bank account. Money feels good, as empty as that sounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home