Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Shop like a Jew

The problem with living in Gainesville is that there are far fewer breezes than there are in Miami. But. That doesn't mean that hot days can't not be beautiful. It was a good day.
---I have a mystery bruise on my forearm, right where I like to rest my arm when I'm typing. The mystery of its origin is worse than the pain factor.
Anyways. It was a good day. I bought a ticket to Vagina Monolgues. Yes.
I said hullo to tons of people I know and felt nice because contact and human interaction is impressive to me.
I went with Claire to sign the lease on her new apartment (for next year). It's a wonderful little habitat. Wood floors, nice kitchen, quaint and completely collegiate.
I drank a lot of lemonade.
I went to the farmer's market and bought a chunk of this Barbeque Tempe thing that was so good that I can't even turn a proper phrase to describe it.
I probably shouldn't have, but I bought a tin of Mandarin Mint Camels with the notion that since I rarely smoke cigarettes, I am a responsible enough smoker to purchase a tin of cigarettes.
I futzed around on the internet and sent off a few articles from the Onion.
It was a good day. A really good day.

Spring Break deserves closure, hell it deserves description.
Somehow, going home sucked more money out of me than the entire year here. Probably because I went shopping.
Generally, I'm a responsible, Jewish shopper. This is how it usually works for me:
Enter a shop. Spot something cute from afar. Consider where I might wear it. If said article makes it past the initial discrimination, then I'll swing by for a closer inspection. Is it well made? Yes? Ok, I'll pick it up and search the rest of the store. Then, with 3-5 items in hand, I compare prices. Like, I can get A or I can get B and C at the same total expenditure. Well will I be more likely to wear A? Or B and C? Then I try all 3 items on. I am ruthless to the most part to see if anything fits well. I'm talking two fingers in the waist of the pants, tugging on the shirt hem, messing around with the skirt lines, raising my arms up, bending down, squatting. Yes, my clothes go through a lot.
All that changed upon me entering Forever 21, a new store in Sunset Place. I was ridiculous. For the clothes I got, it's not so ridiculous, but I have never bought so much in one blow. I came home with 11 new items. Plus $64 shoes from Steve Madden. Shit.
Plus, I bought gas, prescriptions, brunch....just a lot of stuff, not all for me.
I spent time too.
At the beach.
I had forgotten the beach. I had forgotten what it feels like to not want to go to the beach because you're so close to it everyday. I have tan lines again. I know it's bad. But, I'm dying anyways, so I may as well go covered in wrinkles. Don't worry. I load up on sun block. Sun block with 10000000 spf.
I spent time with friends.
But not enough time with Mama.
So I think the fact that I found the Blockbuster card in my wallet today is less of an accident and more of a desire to go home....
Summer should get here soon.
I'm exhaling glee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home