Thursday, December 18, 2003

Put the lime in the coconut.

There's a pile of dishes that I really don't want to spend much time with, and another pile of clothes that I have to jam in a dinky suitcase that I'm none too fond of.
But there's a bonfire at MT's tonight.
I'm fond of those.
And I have a meeting with a camarade, if you will, that I'm also counting as a good point to today.
(See, darlings, the "thing" is, in this whole circus of study and tests, I was behind in sleep. And for the first and last time EVER I slept an hour into my test this morning, which was at 10 am.)
But instead I'm here, procrastinating properly on the computer.
I was going to right a review of Something's Gotta Give, which I'll describe as cute, clever, and you can walk out before the last hour and still know how it is going to drag on forever.
But yesterday, I saw Bad Santa, and I much preferred an entry where no one's feelings got hurt.

Which is funny, considering the movie is sharply offensive. It's a mean one. But it's glorious, too.
And I think that Billy Bob left Angelina (boo hoo) perhaps to get into character. I mean, who in the movie-going public isn't going to hate the man who left, Angelina Jolie *gasp!* Everyone's putting in their Oscar Contribution around the Hollywood ranchito, and Billy went with the reliable grit (remember Slingblade?).
Anyways, whatever is outside the theater is pointless.
It's a gander into the completely fucked life of a pathetic asshole. Most people would think that the movie is interesting in the way a horrible train wreck with no survivors is interesting. And they would not be far from the truth. The "man" makes anyone reconsider that small glass of wine with dinner, except for Willie, it's not wine, it's like the generic version of Natty Ice. Warm.
I don't feel like telling you what happens, beause if I could pay the $6 to see it, so can you. Or wait 'til video. It will still be a fucking amazing movie at the end of the day.
However, there are supporting actors and actresses who fit perfectly into the brilliant-ness of the movie. The brothers Coen have written a genius script that is positively spiteful (oo, oxymoron!). But, things get "not bad" at just the right time, whether it's through comic relief, a sexual encounter or even the snot-faced fatty kid who annoys you in that way that a pathetic, dumb, fat kid would.
And Lauren Graham shows up as Lorelei if she hadn't had Rory, which isn't really obnoxious at all, she can do it with out seeming too, oh how should I put this, Meg Ryan. And you also get the sense that she's the "good" in Willie's life. Because it ends up being more than what we would expect.
The ending is worth it too.

Anycrap, I'm getting back to those dishes and those clothes.
And I do not plan to touch a computer for the duration of my vacation, so I'm wishing Holiday Cheer in advance, Happy Safe New Years.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home