Saturday, February 28, 2004

I am alive

I was so productive yesterday, Mom would be proud.
I spent a long time at the lab getting shiz-nit in order for my paper due Thursday. It's a five page min. for my Shakespeare class.
Analyze the celebration of "if" in As You Like It as a key to understanding Shakespeare's maturing insight into the hypothesizing of variable, alternate likenesses in the work of forming a personal identity.

I know.

At first, I had felt intellectually intimidated by that class, worried that I would be completely lost in the world of literature. When I saw my professor driving a Saturn home, it dawned on me that, really, the class is just one man's theory about the word "like" and the way Shakespeare uses it. I'll never be able to apply what I'm studying later on in life, I'm sure. I mean, aside from being able to show off with my sheer genius at cocktail parties. It's purely that I enjoy reading Shakespeare and realizing what an artist he was.
As a "writer" (struggling to finish her 7 page short-story for Monday), I absolutely love looking at the words, and seeing the visual complexity of the Canon. The man had such a profound understanding of language. As a "student," I see the Bard as the Leonardo or Michelangelo of words. There are so many facets that exist beneath the poetry and rythym of his work; humor, humanity, sarcasm, commentary.
Who cares if his plays all came from other people's work. Duh. It's the way he presented it, in immense talent. His use of literary devices alone should be enough to amaze.

Anyways, I'm looking foward to writing this paper for a couple of reasons:
1- I'm using Déscartes and Pierre de la Ramée as outside sources for the logical aspect of the paper. That should be challenging, but fun.
2- Shoaf said that if I can make my argument (which is more or less that Shakespeare was attempting to bridge logic and rhetoric earlier than 1610) he would get my paper published. I'm not holding my breath, but it is a rather exciting incentive.

So that was FriDay. Later that night, I called M who I haven't seen in forever. I love that girl, we played drinking games for a couple of hours before heading out to Balls, and drinking more. I remember being at Balls. I remember making it home. I do not remember how I got into bed, the phone calls it seems I made, neither do I recall the conversation I had with "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" (because his name is my name too). And man, I woke up this morning feeling pathetically hungover. What a day too. I couldn't have been hungover when it was cold and dreary out, nooo. I had to pick the one sunny day in Gainesville to stay in bed, dealing with a particularly aggressive headache.

Around 2, I made progress toward doing stuff by calling the local family and making sure that, even though my phone says I called their number at 2:17 am, I did not wake them up. I had not. (Probably, it was my POS phone that freaks out whenever I touch it, and dials the first number in my phone book, so if I was awake at that point, I probably ended the call before it could ring). Then I figured, if I was going to call my local family, I may as well call Grandma and Grandpa. We had a great little update chat. Nothing's certain yet, but I might be able to spend the summer working in Aspen after all. Which would be:
1. Fantastic
2. Fun
3. Lucrative.
Grandma offered to get me anything I need, but how do you ask your Grandparents for stuff? I can't do it, I don't know how, but it felt good to know that I can.

Then I figured I may as well call my immediate family, so Dad was the next one to get a call from me. I LOVE arguing with my dad about politics, seriously, I think it's one of our strong points. We discussed the upcoming popularity contest election, the whole "ban on gay marriage" thing without getting frustrated with each other. I also brought up the worrisome noise the fan on my motherboard has been making, so the other good outcome of calling Dad was that I got up. And went out, into daylight. After I pulled off the cover to the computer, and saw the ungodly amount of dust, I went and got me a can of compressed air. Exciting, yes?

The fan's still freaking out, but at least now I know it's doing it in a dust free environment.

I fiddled with my short story for a while before M called and invited me to go on a walk with her. 23 blocks to Blockbuster, 23 blocks back. It was a great walk, it totally revived my love for Gainesville. I see so much more beauty when I walk in this town, as opposed to being in a car. (I also think it's ridiculous that in Miami, I have no problem schlepping from SW 50-something or other (I don't know, it's the Gables) up to NW 125, but in Gainesville, 10 blocks seems like a million miles.) We talked and yapped and chatted the whole time, working out some of the trivial shit in our lives.
And then, I came home and decided to update.

So, overall, I'm proud of myself for the past two days, being mildly productive and not sitting on my ass the whole time. And now that I've told you all about it, aren't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home